A Sizzling Summer Dish to Delight the Family
The weather outside may be boiling, but that doesn’t mean you can’t indulge your taste buds and your loved ones with a delicious, healthy dish they’re sure to love! Packed with the flavours of summer (and a little Miami Canner’s magic), this spectacular chicken bake is rich in papaya, mango atchar, and more… it’s sure to be a hit!
The Delectable Ingredients
As we all know, the devil is in the details- and this dish is packed full of surprises! From the soft near-citrus undertones of the papaya to the authentic South African sizzle of the atchar, it’s a dish that keeps on delivering long after the last dishes are packed into the dishwasher. While the ingredient list may look long, it’s surprisingly simple to make, too, so be sure to give it a try! Here’s what you need:
- 1 pack of chicken drumsticks and thighs
- 2 red onions, chunked
- 2 red peppers, diced
- 250 ml Miami mango atchar
- 400 ml plain or greek yoghurt
- 1 brown onion soup powder packet to thicken
- 20 ml chicken spice powder of your choice
- 20 ml curry powder of your desired heat level
- 10 ml turmeric powder
- 7.5 ml cumin powder
- 150 ml chicken stock (or a full cube prepared)
- 20 ml lemon juice for extra acidity
To make the salsa:
- ½ large papaya, disced
- 1 red pepper, chopped as fine as possible
- ½ red onion, chopped as fine as possible
- 1 chilli of your desired heat level, de-seeded and chopped finely
- 2 spring onions, sliced finely
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 30g chopped coriander
And to serve, we suggest:
- 4 cups basmati rice, cooked to taste
- Fresh coriander to garnish
Now let’s get cooking!
Making this Sizzling Papaya and Mango Atchar Baked Chicken
The ingredients may look complex, but this dish is really easy to assemble and will be on your dinner table before you know it! Simply pop the oven on to 180°C to preheat while you assemble it and grab your largest baking dish. Lay out the peppers, chicken, and onion, then mix the remaining ingredients (not the salsa) and pour over, stirring everything together. Pop it in the oven, and leave it to bake. It should take between 45 minutes and 1 hour. We suggest covering in foil at the 30 minute mark to keep the chicken moist and succulent.
For the salsa, simply mix everything together and season to taste. When the dish is done, pop it all on a bed of rice, add the salsa and garnish, and serve!
This delectable chicken bake will soon be a family favourite, so don’t forget to keep some Miami mango atchar in your pantry- it’s sure to be in heavy demand!